- QUICK LINKS
- MY ACCOUNT
The instructions below are for titles which cannot be read directly in the browser.
Downloading eBooks on your Mobile Device using the OverDrive Media Console app:
(for Android, Blackberry, iPhone/iPod Touch, and Windows)
If you are a visual learner, check out our Slideshare on the process.
- To download the OverDrive Media Console app, visit your device’s app store/market and search for “OverDrive Media Console." The app is free.
- Follow the prompts to install the app. OverDrive Media Console will open.
- Select the Get Books option from the menu
- Select your library by entering “Alachua County Library District” or your zip code, then tapping your library from the resulting list. Tap the star to mark this library as a favorite (so you won’t have to complete this step again)
- First you will want to Sign In so you can adjust your lending periods. Some lending periods were reverted to the default (7 days) by accident.
- Once you've signed in you'll be taken to your bookshelf. Tap Settings in the right-hand sidebar, then double-check that your lending periods are what you'd like. Tap Done to save your preferences.
- Browse the collection or search for your desired title. (You will see Adobe EPUB eBooks, which are compatible with the OverDrive app.) Books which are currently available will have a dark gray icon at the top right of the cover; if the book is not available, the icon will be pale gray instead. Tap Available Now if you want a title to download right away.
- When you find the book you want, touch the cover.
- On the book's page, touch Borrow.
- You will be taken to your bookshelf. Many titles can be read directly in the browser.
- If your title does not allow in-browser reading, or if you prefer to read in the OverDrive app, tap Download then EPUB ebook, then Confirm & Download.
- You will see a notification "Loading New Title," followed by one that your book has downloaded.
- When your book is done downloading, tap the menu button and then the bookshelf.
- Select the book you want to read. Enjoy!
- For your first download, you will be prompted to authorize OverDrive Media Console (one time) by entering your Adobe ID and password and then tapping Authorize. If you do not already have an Adobe ID, you will select Register/Get ID to create one (it’s free!). Follow the steps to register, then go back to OverDrive Media Console, enter your Adobe ID and password, and tap Authorize.
- The title will download and appear on your device. Tap the cover of you book to open it, and enjoy reading!
To return your eBook early in the OverDrive app:
- Open OverDrive Media Console, and select the title you would like to remove.
- Tap the Edit button at the top left of the screen.
- Tap the Delete button on the right of the screen.
- Tap Return and Delete.
- The eBook is returned and deleted!
For additional help, visit OverDrive Help, from within OverDrive.